Tuesday, April 28, 2009

For my Soul Sister...



Do you remember the night I watched you sleep?
Peered at your smiling eyes
As you dreamt of solving life’s questions
I still remember
You told me to join you on this quest
Said that you might need me to slay a few dragons

Or save the princess he locked away in your heart

I packed my mental bags
And joined you in your slumber
Met you on the corner of poetry and real life
And you told me you weren’t sure which way to go
I whispered
Make your own path
Promised
That no matter your choice I’d be there


But I refuse{d} to walk ahead of you
This was your journey
But when your feet grew weary
I was there to lend a piggy back ride
Or there to keep you company as you rested
Never forgetting that I had my own dragons to slay
& my own princess to free
But this was about you
My older sister


Resembled a flightless angel
Hair
Covering the wings you weren’t sure how to use yet
Snowy skin
Hiding the darkened heart his empty vodka bottles left
Eyes
Small yet so big to the world


& Sister,
I’m sorry we didn’t slay any dragons that night
Nor did we unlock the tower the true you still sits in
I’m sorry,
That I can’t fix your past or erase your scars
But I’m here to lend a band-aid if you get a new one
Here to hold you while you cry
Here to listen to your heart when you’re not ready to speak
I’m here because a Tia would never be complete without her Tamara


Hand in hand
Step by step
We will take this world by storm


Interracial friendships were always my favorite
I know I don’t tell you I love you enough
But I always figured it was implied
Maybe not
I love you
My forgotten princess sister
I love you


So when your tower comes tumbling down
And your royal feet hit the ground for the first time
Remember
Your little sister
Remember
That there’s no need to cry in the dark anymore
Remember that
I’ll be here to help you graffiti heavens walls when you’re ready
Even though I’m not that good,
Just, remember I did my best.

1 comment:

Nicole Ortiz said...

geez you really do know how to make a girl feel special *diggs hands in pockets and kicks air*

=] i love you